Skip to content ↓

Teaching & Learning

Art

The Art department forms part of the Creative Arts Faculty. Art is a popular and thriving subject with large numbers of students continuing to study it at both GCSE and A Level. Art lessons involve a wide range of practical activities including drawing, painting, print making, sculpture, photography, digital design and mixed media. In Art, students develop the ability to think creatively and to find innovative and exciting ways to communicate their ideas and opinions.

The Art curriculum in Key Stage 3 builds a working knowledge and understanding of the visual elements of art which include tone, line, shape, space, colour, form, texture and pattern. At GCSE level, in Year 9 students learn to extend and develop their ideas through portraiture and landscape. At GCSE in Years 10 and 11 students learn to use a wide range of tools and resources in order to hone their own style and find their strengths. At A-level students are encouraged to further develop their personal style and to produce professional quality outcomes.

Staff Position
Mr Cotson Deputy Head of Creative Arts Faculty
Miss Hamilton Teacher of Art
Mr Green Teacher of Art

Key Stage 3 

 

Students study the following units in Key Stage 3:

Year 7

Year 8

Line

Form

Tone

Colour

Shape

Space

Pattern

Texture

Additional resources to support learning in Key Stage 3 Art:   

Encourage your child to:

  • Visit galleries and museums.
  • Read books about artists and art history.
  • Practice drawing and making things at home.
  • Photograph interesting events, objects and places.

A range of resources can also be found on:

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

www.theartstory.org

www.tate.org.uk

www.wikiart.org

www.pinterest.co.uk/artshtc

www.pexels.com

Key Stage 4

Aims of the course:

The GCSE Art course offers a unique opportunity for students to work with a sense of freedom, independence and creativity. We aim to give students a broad experience in a wide range of specialisms including painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, photography and digital media. The course allows for students to make many personal choices in terms of the themes they choose to explore and the techniques they wish to develop. Students are encouraged to find new and innovative ways of expressing their ideas and communicating meaningful concepts.


Course content:

GCSE Art involves working on two extended practical projects, one worth 60% and the other 40%. In Year 9 students develop practical skills through the exploration of the theme of ‘Identity’. Year 9 art students learn how to refine and develop their work to higher standards. In Year 10 students begin their ‘Major Project’ which can be based upon a theme of their choice. The ‘Major Project’ gives students a chance to develop imaginative and creative ideas, experiment with materials and process and develop their ability to create sophisticated outcomes. In Year 11, students complete the ‘Major Project’ and also complete an ‘Externally Set Task’ worth 40%. The ‘Externally Set Task’ offers 7 themes to choose from and culminates in a 10 hour practical exam in which students make their final pieces.

Students study the following units:

Year 9

Year 10

Year 11

Portraits

Landscapes

Identity outcome

Major Project

Major  Project

Externally Set Task

Assessment:

Unit 1: Portfolio (Major Project + Year 9 Identity work) = 60%

Unit 2: Externally Set Task = 40%

Encourage your son / daughter to:

·         Visit galleries and museums.

·         Read books about artists and art history.

·         Practice drawing and making things at home.

·         Photograph interesting events, objects and places.

Additional resources to support learning in GCSE Art: 

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

www.theartstory.org

www.tate.org.uk

www.wikiart.org

www.pinterest.co.uk/artshtc

www.pexels.com

Where required, passwords have been provided to students directly.  For further support please contact the school.   

Sixth Form Courses

A Level Art (OCR)

Aims of the course:

The A Level Art course offers further opportunity for students to broaden and develop their creative practice. Students work with a sense of freedom, independence and sophistication. We aim to give students a professional experience in a wide range of specialisms including painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, photography and digital media. The course allows for students to make many personal choices in terms of the themes they chose to explore and the techniques they wish to develop. Students are encouraged to find new and innovative ways of expressing their ideas and communicating meaningful concepts.

Course Content:

AS Art involves working on one extended practical project worth 100% of the AS grade. In Year 12 students develop practical skills through the exploration of a classic art theme. Year 12 art students learn how to refine and develop their work to higher standards. In Year 13 students work on two extended practical projects, one worth 60% and the other 40% of the final A2 grade. The main coursework project can be based upon a theme of their choice. The course gives students a chance to develop highly imaginative, innovative and creative ideas, experiment further with materials and process and develop their ability to create sophisticated outcomes. In Year 13, students also complete an ‘Externally Set Task’ worth 40%. The ‘Externally Set Task’ offers 7 themes to choose from and culminates in a 15 hour practical exam in which students make their final pieces.

Assessment:

The course comprises:

AS Unit 1: Externally Set Task = 100%

A2 Unit 1: Personal Investigation = 60%

A2 Unit 2: Externally Set Task = 40%

Encourage your son /daughter to:

·         Visit galleries and museums.

·         Read books about artists and art history.

·         Practice drawing and making things at home.

·         Photograph interesting events, objects and places.

Additional resources to support learning in Art: 

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

www.theartstory.org

www.tate.org.uk

www.wikiart.org

www.pinterest.co.uk/artshtc

www.pexels.com

Where required, passwords have been provided to students directly.  For further support please contact the school.