The Design and Technology department forms part of the Creative Arts Faculty. Design and Technology is divided into three key areas of study: Product Design, Textiles and Food. Students are able to experience each area for a 12 week long project within a carousel system. Each project is taught in a specialist classroom/workshop, by a subject specialist teacher. Students produce a design and make project utilising materials and processes appropriate to each subject area. All are encouraged to work creatively and imaginatively.
Design and Technology lessons involve a wide range of practical activities, manufacturing products that help show a student’s understanding of the following set of key concepts:
· User needs
· Generation of creative design ideas
· Effective communication of design ideas
· Appropriate choice of materials and components
· Appropriate choice of manufacturing techniques, processes and equipment
· Effective evaluation against the product specification to refine and improve the design outcome