Skip to content ↓

Product Design

Staff Position
Mrs Abbotts Teacher of Technology
Mr Bird Teacher of Technology
Mrs Boyle Teacher of Technology
Mr Burgess Head of Faculty
Mrs Dibnah Teacher of Technology
Mr Norrie Teacher of Technology
Mrs Painter Teacher of Technology

Key Stage 3 

Year 7

Year 8

Young children’s activity pod

Drawstring Bag

Healthy Eating

 

Mechanical Toy

Soft toy project

Food Nutrition

 

Additional resources to support learning in Key Stage 3 DT: 

Encourage your child to:

·         Visit galleries and museums.

·         Read books about design and design history.

·         Practice drawing and making things at home.

A range of resources can also be found on

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

https://designmuseum.org/

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/levels/z98jmp3 

Key Stage 4

Aims of the course

Product Design is suited to students who enjoy designing and making products out of a variety of resistant materials, such as metals, woods and plastics. Students will also learn about manufacturing processes, techniques and technologies and be able to use them, as appropriate, in the design and make process. There is also an emphasis on Computer Aided Design, Computer Aided Manufacture and product analysis.

Year 9

Year 10

Year 11

Drawing Skills

Wooden Trinket Box

Metal Toy Car

Plastic MP3 Amplifier

Bits in a Box

Design Process

Product Analysis

CAD

Design Process

Anglepoise Lamp

Assessment:

Students will be required to produce a design and make project. This is a controlled piece of assessment and is completed within the classroom. The controlled assessment element is worth 75% of the marks available. The remaining 25% is a 1 hour written paper focusing on design briefs, specifications and user requirements.

 

Encourage your son / daughter to:

·         Visit galleries and museums.

·         Read books about design and design history.

·         Practice drawing and making things at home.

Additional resources to support learning in Product Design: 

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

https://designmuseum.org/

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/levels/

Where required, passwords have been provided to students directly.  For further support please contact the school. 

Sixth Form Courses

A Level Design Technology (Pearson)

Aims of the course:

This course will appeal to students who enjoy using their creativity and imagination to design, develop and make prototypes that solve real world problems, considering their own and other’s needs, wants and aspirations. Students will learn how to apply knowledge and understanding of a wide range of materials; including modern and smart materials. They will develop an understanding of contemporary industrial and commercial practices applied to designing and manufacturing products, and relevant health and safety procedures and legislation. Designers from the past provide inspiration for present and future designing. Students will learn about and become increasingly aware of the important contribution that key historical movements and figures have on modern design thinking, and in turn their own designing.

Assessment:

The course comprises:

 Unit 1: Principles of Design and Technology – written paper: 2hrs 30 min - 50%

Unit 2: Non-examined assessment – Design and Make Project - 50%

Encourage your son /daughter to:

·         Visit galleries and museums.

·         Read books about designers and design history.

·         Practice drawing and making things at home.

·         Photograph interesting events, objects and places.

Additional resources to support learning: 

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

https://designmuseum.org/

Where required, passwords have been provided to students directly.  For further support please contact the school.