Skip to content ↓

Textiles

Staff Position
Mrs Abbotts (Textiles & Fashion KS3, 4 & 5)
Mrs Boyle Teacher of Textiles
Mr Burgess Teacher of Textiles
Mrs Dibnah Teacher of Textiles
Miss Hamilton (Textiles & Fashion KS5)
Mr Norrie Teacher of Textiles
Mrs Painter Teacher of Textiles

Key Stage 3 

Year 7

Year 8

Young children’s activity pod

Drawstring Bag

Healthy Eating

Mechanical Toy

Soft Toy Project

Food Nutrition

 

Additional resources to support learning in Key Stage 3 DT: 

Encourage your child to:

·         Visit galleries and museums.

·         Read books about design and design history.

·         Practice drawing and making things at home.

A range of resources can also be found on

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

https://designmuseum.org/

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/levels/z98jmp3 

Key Stage 4 

Aims of the course:

GCSE Art and Design: Textiles Design

 Textile Design (which includes Fashion) is a highly successful and thriving subject within the academy at GCSE level. The course we follow is the OCR GCSE Art and Design: Textile Design. This course offers the opportunity for students to work with a sense of freedom, independence and creativity on engaging, inspirational themes using a wide range of Art and Textiles Media. In Years 10 and 11 the course allows for students to make personal choices in terms of the themes they choose to explore and the techniques they wish to develop. Their portfolios are carefully managed to communicate their design ideas from conception to reality.

Students learn skills such as working to fashion industry trend forecasts and briefs, photographing primary source ideas, completing observational drawings of inspirational source material and creating mood boards to establish a theme. This work helps to inform a colour scheme, develop repeating patterns, inspire specialist dyeing techniques and develop fabric designs using printing, stitching and fibre art techniques. Students will try their hand at fashion design and pattern making, before finally creating their final design idea using the creative textiles they have developed and refined throughout their project.

Students are encouraged to analyse and be influenced by the work of artists and textile and fashion designers who they find inspirational to their studies throughout their projects.

Course Content:

GCSE Art and Design: Textile Design involves working on two extended practical projects, one worth 60% and the other 40% of the total GCSE. In Year9, students acquire textiles skills by carrying out a wide range of creative samples using stitching, printing and dyeing techniques. Students in Year 9 learn how to develop and refine their work by combining techniques together to enhance their look and begin to work to a theme by looking at “Cultures” in a visually exciting and tactile way.

In Year 10 students begin their “Major Project” which can be based on a theme of their choice. The “Major Project” gives students a chance to develop imaginative and creative ideas, experiment with materials and processes and create sophisticated outcomes. In Year 11, students complete their “Major Project” and also complete an “Externally Set Task” worth 40%. The “Externally Set Task” offers a range of themes to choose from and culminates in a 10 hour practical exam in which students make their final pieces.

Year 9

Year 10

Year 11

Textiles skills acquisition

Cultures portfolio work

Major Project

Major Project

Externally Set Task

Assessment:

Unit 1: Portfolio (Major Project + Y9 Cultures work) = 60%

Unit 2: Externally Set Task = 40%

Encourage your son / daughter to:

·         Visit galleries and museums.

·         Read books about design and design history.

·         Read Fashion Magazines/Blogs

·         Practice observational drawing/ fashion drawing. There are some great fashion tutorials on you tube!

·         Make things at home

Additional resources to support learning in GCSE Art and Design: Textile Design

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

https://designmuseum.org/

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/levels/z98jmp3

Where required, passwords have been provided to students directly.  For further support please contact the school. 

Sixth Form Courses 

A Level Art and Design: Textile Design (OCR)

Aims of the course:

The A Level Art and Design: Textile Design course offers further opportunity for students to broaden and develop their creative practice. Students work with a sense of freedom, independence and sophistication. We aim to give students a professional experience in a wide range of specialisms including, drawing, printmaking, felt making, digital printing, machine embroidery, pattern cutting and Fashion. The course allows for students to make many personal choices in terms of the themes they choose to explore and the techniques they wish to develop. Students are encouraged to find new and innovative ways of expressing their ideas and communicating meaningful concepts.

Course Content:

AS Art and Design: Textile Design involves working on one extended practical project worth 100% of the AS grade. In Year 12 students develop practical skills through the exploration of a theme of their choosing. Year 12 art students learn how to refine and develop their work to higher standards. In Year 13 students work on two extended practical projects, one worth 60% and the other 40% of the final A2 grade. The main coursework project can be based upon a theme of their choice. The course gives students a chance to develop highly imaginative, innovative and creative ideas, experiment further with materials and process and develop their ability to create sophisticated Fashion outcomes. In Year 13, students also complete an ‘Externally Set Task’ worth 40%. The ‘Externally Set Task’ offers 7 themes to choose from and culminates in a 15 hour practical exam in which students make their final pieces.

Assessment:

The course comprises:

AS Unit 1: Externally Set Task = 100%

A2 Unit 1: Personal Investigation = 60%

A2 Unit 2: Externally Set Task = 40%

Encourage your son /daughter to:

·         Visit galleries and museums.

·         Read books about artists and art history.

·         Practice drawing and making things at home.

·         Photograph interesting events, objects and places.

Additional resources to support learning: 

www.twitter.com/SHTC_Art

www.theartstory.org

www.tate.org.uk

www.wikiart.org

www.pinterest.co.uk/artshtc

www.pexels.com

Where required, passwords have been provided to students directly.  For further support please contact the school.